August 25, 2011

Its official.

I remember thinking, right after I first heard Hannah cry, "Wow.  She's intense.  Definitely our last!"  Ever since that moment, she has proven us right.  She's amazing and wonderful and spirited, and we LOVE her to pieces...but she is one tough cookie.  She's shown us how weak we are, and how NOT perfect we are as parents.

Considering the fact that I only have a 50% success rate when it comes to staying pregnant* AND the fact that every day of the entire 38-39 weeks that I stay pregnant** is MISERABLE (although I do lose weight, so that's kinda nice), it seemed like the right thing to do was to shut down the baby factory.  After all, I am 34 and the hubs is 41, so we're no "spring chickens" if you know what I mean.  Why not have him get the big V?  Well, lots of reasons, but mainly because we PERSONALLY know six couples who have had surprise pregnancies after the guy got a vasectomy.  I am SO not willing to take that chance.  I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to happen.  I told Chris the ideal situation would be for him to get the V *and* me to get something done as well, but he wasn't gonna go for that.  I decided to have the Essure procedure done.  It was SO EASY and the recovery was basically just sleeping off the pain pill they give you.  No complications whatsoever.  Three months of being careful (they recommend you stay on birth control until you get the "all clear", but my body hates hormones so we chose other methods), then an HSG to make sure the tubes are blocked.  I had mine done yesterday and its official -- ain't nothing getting through those tubes.

So is it weird that I feel a teensy bit sad?  I know we're done.  I know our family is complete, and God knows we can't handle another human around here.  The whole newborn thing is just so HARD.  Our kids are getting to be so much fun and, while the ages of 3 and 5 have their own issues, there's something to be said for the ability to communicate.  We're happy, we're content...But still.  Hearing those words...the finality of it all...was kinda bittersweet.  Its the end of a chapter of my life.  But you know what?  Its the beginning of another one. I know it sounds cheesy, but I really feel like "the best is yet to come."



1 comment:

cskeizer said...

Thanks for sharing Anna! Good to know you felt this way about the whole procedure. I have already started talking to my doctor about getting the Essure procedure at the appropriate time after my delivery. It's good to know that feeling bittersweet about the whole thing is normal. BTW..the fact that you all know 6 different couples that had kids after the big "V" as you put it is very scary.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...