June 28, 2011

To Hannah on her Birthday

My sweet Hannah Jane,
Today you are three years old.  Where has the time gone?  It seems like only yesterday you were resisting making an entrance into the world, forcing us to go "through the back door" to get you out.  That c-section was the best decision I ever made, but I have to admit...I was a little nervous when I heard the volume of your little voice.  I remember thinking, "wow, she's pissed!"  And I was right.  Leaving the womb was not your idea and the way you cling to me even now, it seems you're still fighting to get back in there!
You are intense and brilliant and funny and charming...You capture the hearts of everyone you meet with that gorgeous, out-of-control, strawberry blonde hair and bright blue eyes.  It seems like your vocabulary skills have exploded overnight as you now speak so clearly and in complete sentences.  The things that come out of your mouth never cease to amaze me.  I love that today, when the A/C came on in the car (and I suppose you got cold), so you got excited that it might snow.  Nevermind that its 90+ degrees outside.  You want snow, so you look for any sign of it and keep on hoping.
I love that you ask "why?" about absolutely everything.  I love how much you adore The Princess and the Frog and insist on watching it every morning as soon as you wake up.  I love how you insist upon having Toy Story band-aids available at all times (especially those with Jessie and Bullseye on them).  I love how its so obvious that you're a little nervous when you meet someone new.  (I know you're nervous because you smile with your mouth closed and start blinking a lot.)  I love how much you adore your big brother and I love the funny way you say his name.  I love the way you enjoy having so many pets to love.  (Yeah, I know we need to find homes for the kittens, but the joy on your face is so worth keeping them around.)
Baby girl, keep on being who you are.  I know we get overwhelmed a lot when we don't quite know what you want, but you are our little angel, our baby girl, and your daddy and I love you more than we can say.  Forgive us when we mess up.  Try to remember that we do what we do because we love you and want what's best for you.  Happy birthday, princess!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...