June 20, 2011

Bad Mommy Confession #2,486

This could be a reeeeally long post with all the stuff I've done to mess up/drop the ball/inevitably send my kids to therapy, but today I'm focusing on just one of these "bad mommy moments."

Today, Andrew will have his first ever dental appointment. Yep.  First.ever.  How old is he?  Yeah, well he's FIVE years old.  I know!  Kids are "supposed" to go to the dentist after they get their first tooth.  Well, that happened when he was four months old, so...yep, pretty much exactly five years ago.  I have no excuse.  I have no idea why I have waited so long.  I guess we just stayed busy (ha!  doesn't everyone?) and it was one of those things that slipped through the cracks. 

You'd think that, given my personal dental history, I would know better.  I honestly believe I have a filling in every tooth that is able to be filled.  Cavities galore, people.  Part of its heredity, part of its laziness (and hatred of dental floss), but I really do want better for my kids...so WHY did I do this??

Funny thing is...The only reason he's going now (despite the hundreds of times when I've said to Chris, "man, we really need to get these kiddos to the dentist!") is that our state requires a dental exam for all kids who register for Kindergarten.  Since he's headed to school in August, guess where we are headed?  Yep.

What's gonna be so fun about this is that my boy is not fond of people messing with him in any way.  He cries all the way through hair cuts, nail trims (well, those are more like full-on wrestling matches), etc.  I can't imagine what its going to be like having a dentist look around in his mouth, trying to get x-rays and clean those little chiclet teeth.  I have advised the dentist that he might want to have some kid-friendly sedation on hand.

Oh, and I went ahead and made an appointment for Hannah.  She goes tomorrow.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...