August 31, 2010

Whine-fest

Its been a whine-fest around here.  I can't figure out if the kids are bored, tired, getting sick, having growing pains, or just missing me, but Chris is more stressed than usual these days.  They aren't so bad in the afternoons when I get home from school, but apparently all day long they are much whinier than before.  Sibling rivalry is at an all-time high, and Hannah is becoming a big ol' bully.  One of these days the preschool is going to call us about her pushing or beating up one of the 4 yr olds (probably her brother) and I will be so embarrassed.  As a teacher, I have to make plenty of those kinds of calls home, and MAN would I hate to be on the receiving end of that call.  Apparently they both behave really well when they're away from us, because we get excellent reports 95% of the time.  They must save all those "precious moments" just for us.  Because they love us so much, right?  Riiiiiiight.

So anyway, I need to figure out a way to let Hannah know it is unacceptable to hit her brother, and I need to get Andrew to stop whining.  This is likely a universal problem, not unique to my kids at all, but being in the middle of it is not pleasant.  I need it to stop.  Like NOW.  Tips, please!

Spankings don't work.  Sometimes they get their attention enough to stop for a minute, but they never make it stop completely.  Time-outs work maybe 50-60% of the time.  Quality time helps, but as soon as one gets some cuddling, the other one is RIGHTTHERE wanting their turn, which in turn causes more whining/pushing/rivalry.  Sigh.  What we need is a nanny.  Or a wife.  Someone to give one of us a break (read: nap!) so they can play with one child while one of us plays with the other one.  Lord knows when I get home from middle school I am exhausted and, try as I might, am probably not on the top of my mommy game.  Chris, on the other hand, is exhausted as well since he's been dealing with the whining and fussing all day long.

I know, I know...These days are precious, and we need to cherish every one.  One day we will look back and wish we could live through them all over again.  Yeah...I know.  They really are precious.  I just wish they could communicate in a manner that doesn't involve so much whining/screaming and less of the word "NO!"  Yikes.  That seems to be Hannah's favorite word lately.

Yes, I'm whining.  Wonder where my kids learned it...Hmmm...

1 comment:

lynette355 said...

no cokes, coffee or tea...sorta has this effect

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...