September 17, 2010

It *might* be time for me to go back to work...

Whew!  Its been a rough couple of days.  Chris and I are getting on each other's nerves a bit.  It might be time for me to go back to work.  Good thing today is Friday!

Chris, on our most recent family outing
We didn't travel or anything over this break, but we did quite a bit.  We took the kids to the Georgia Aquarium, had a couple of "lazy days" and a couple of days just running errands with the kids.  Tomorrow we are headed to the zoo, and while it has been fun and the kids have loved having both of us here all day every day, I think it might be just a bit too much togetherness, know what I mean?  Chris told me the other day he was getting on his own nerves.  I just had to laugh. :)

I think the issue is that we have a few parenting differences and it stresses him out.  For example, he is a strict routine guy.  He stays home with the kids while I work so he has them on a nice routine.  They get up, have breakfast, go to preschool (unless its Monday), go home for lunch, go upstairs to brush teeth and wrestle on the bed, then take naps.  Hannah is usually awake by the time I get home from school, and normally Andrew is still napping.  He wakes soon afterwards, though, and we play games, eat dinner, go outside, then go up for baths and bedtime.  It works.

When I am home for school breaks, however, I get up with the kids and it totally throws them off.  Hannah wants me to sit and hold her, while Andrew wants me to play video games with him.  He doesn't normally play the XBOX in the mornings unless I am home.  This drives Chris crazy.  There are other annoying routine-crashers that drive him nuts, but let's not get into that.

Maybe its my "working mom" guilt or maybe I'm just too permissive and just don't care.  I don't know...I will obviously stop them from hurting themselves or others, and I will make sure they eat and brush their teeth, but other than that, as long as we are having fun together...I just don't worry about the details.  I know its wrong and I should stick to the routine.  I'm trying, really...I promise I am.  I just don't want it to get in the way of enjoying my kids on the few days here and there that I get to be with them.


Sigh...Andrew just came over and gave me an unsolicited and VERY sweet hug and kiss, and told me I was his favorite. :)  Who cares if its only because he's playing the XBOX...I treasure this stuff.

********************************************

Oh!  I almost forgot!  I posted a review of Immanuel's Veins (by Ted Dekker) a few days ago.  Thomas Nelson, to thank me, has offered to send a lucky blog reader a free t-shirt to promote the book.  According to random.org, the winner is Sarah Thompson!  Sarah, if you are reading this, congrats!!  Shoot me an email to let me know your address and shirt size, and I will pass along the info to Thomas Nelson!  Thanks for reading!!

1 comment:

anymommy said...

I feel his pain a little, I'm a routine girl and I get very thrown off by deviations. But, I totally recognize that that is the very reason that kids need both their parents. Different styles. Different fun. Together, you're perfect for them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...